Saturday, January 27, 2018

Hospital Day 5-10

Day 5 - Surgery day!!  I woke up nervous / scared.  At 10.30am  they took me downstairs to theatre, 45mins later I was in the induction room getting various drips put in my arms and then wheeled into theatre.  Surgery was done, then next minute I'm awake with a splitting headache and feeling extremely nauseous.  I pass out again, wake up to someone in scrubs talking to me, pass out again.  Finally wake up to rexovery nurse telling me it's time to go back to my room - I tell them I'm not awake enough yet.  Get back to my room to find my mum ia slightly panicked beause I'd been gone for nearly 7 hours.  Made a quick call to Craig to reassure him that I'm ok, then go back to sleep till 10pm.

Found out that my surgery took a little longer than normal because once the started it caused a dural tear-  A watertight sac of tissue (dura mater) covers the spinal cord and the spinal nerves. A tear in this covering can occur during surgery. It is not uncommon to have a dural tear during any type of spine surgery. If noticed during the surgery, the tear is simply repaired and usually heals uneventfully.

Day 6-8- I had to spend 48 hours laying flat on my back!  I am still pretty pain feee and feeling fabulous.   Day 8 I was supposed to take my first steps, but my blood pressure dropped too low and I was dizzy. 

Kristy brought me Krispy Kreme donuts!!!!


View from my room.


Day 9 - I took my first few steps across the room!!  Only a little bit of pain!  Mum filmed it for me, but there is a flaah of my bum, so wont be sharing it! :)

Found out that my friend Kylie was in the ward above me - she was being treated for a post-surgery infeection, so mum headed up to see her and say hello for me.

Day 10 -  Went for a longer walk today - all the way to tje nurse's station - physio said I have exceeded their expectations.


I hopped in a wheelchair and mum and I went upstairs to say a quick hello to Kylie before we escaped downstairs to enjoy some fresh air.


Doing my breathing exercises to increase lung capacity and reduce risk of blood clots.


No comments: